Vacancy: Product Designer (UX/UI)
Based in Farringdon, London
£30-£38,00 per annum
25 days annual leave, plus 1 additional day for each year at Shift (up to 5)
Matched pension contribution up to 2%
UK wide travel
Shift is an award-winning social enterprise that designs products and services which address social problems through behaviour change. By creating things that people need and like, and that can grow to scale as self-sustaining social ventures, we aim to have a measurable, long-term effect on some of the big issues we face. We follow an agile, user-centred research and design process to create products and services that demonstrate social, user and financial value.
Shift is looking for a creative, inquisitive, passionate and driven Digital Product Designer with at least 3 years experience, to join our innovative and ambitious team and play a central role in the development of new products and services for both Shift ventures and our partners.
The successful candidate will be experienced in supporting internal and partner teams to take new products and services to market through a series of human-centred research, design and testing cycles with a deep specialism in prototype development and testing (incl. digital, physical and service prototypes). In your first year with Shift, you would be supporting the delivery of two major projects:
- Discover and create a digital product to increase social cohesion. You’ll play a core role within a multidisciplinary product team to design a new model for mobilising young people to do a single, meaningful action that contributes to a major national ambition. You will be producing and distributing prototypes and gathering insights to translate into thoughtful product design iterations. This will be your primary project and will take up the majority of your time.
- A personalised progressive web app (PWA) that overtime improves at matching new parents with high quality information they’ll love.
Through this work and wider collaboration across Shift, you will also help test and refine Shift’s distinct model of innovation for impact.
What you’ll do
As a Digital Product Designer, you will work collaboratively with the Digital Design Director and the wider design and research teams at Shift to deliver new product or service innovations, as well as incremental improvements to existing products and services.
You’ll be taking ownership for key parts of the product discovery and development process helping to drive projects towards key milestones.
- Working alongside a researcher, to capture insights and liaise with stakeholders to understand and frame the problem.
- Identify user needs, behaviours and identify key design considerations.
- Explore and communicate design concepts through artefacts like sketches, user flows, wireframes, clickable varying fidelity prototypes, and detailed interaction specifications to share with both clients and development teams.
- Validate design concepts by eliciting user feedback, measuring usability, and balancing technical constraints/opportunities.
- Interpret a client’s brand to evolve or create from new a visual identity that engages the target audience.
- Iterate on your ideas and designs based on user input and feedback from your team.
- Develop innovative and impressive formats to bring to life Shift’s research, case studies and design approach – from infographics to presentations, reports to videos
You are perfect for this role if you are …
- Able to think big whilst being detail oriented and delivery focused.
- Experienced in visualising and prototyping ideas at varying levels of fidelity with the aim of communicating, validating and extracting insights from users.
- Knowledgeable in human-centered design, usability principles, techniques and methodologies.
- Open to iterating your ideas and designs based on user input and feedback from your team.
- Experienced in designing brand identities, grid systems, responsive layouts and applications for web, desktop and mobile.
- A team player who is comfortable with working in a multidisciplinary team of researchers, designers, developers and product owners.
- An excellent communicator who is comfortable with sharing ideas and work in-progress with strong collaboration skills.
- Proficient in design, prototyping & motion tools (Sketch, Adobe suite, Invision Marvel, Principle, etc).
- Strong aesthetic skills, problem solving, and critical thinking skills.
- Having an understanding of Agile/SCRUM/Kanban processes is an advantage.
You must be in possession of valid UK work permit
Please submit a CV and a cover letter of no more than two sides of A4, explaining why you are interested in the role and why you are best placed for the job by 5pm on Tuesday 13th February to firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews will take place in mid February.
We will not be working with agents or recruitment consultants to advertise or recruit this role. Please do not ignore this as you will be wasting your time and ours.
Do you have a friend who’d be a perfect fit? Send them this link! Thanks.