Vacancy: Project Accountant
Do you want to join an innovative, bright team tackling major social problems?
Shift is a social enterprise based in London and New Orleans that designs products and builds social ventures to help solve social problems.
This is an exciting role for a great Project Accountant. You will work with Shift’s Directors to build a robust budgeting, resourcing and reporting structure for our projects.
We are looking for a person who is highly numerate with experience of donor reporting, contract management and monitoring of staff charges and programme costs.
Main responsibilities include:
Resource and recruitment
- Collaborating closely with the Shift Directors and team leads to manage the allocation and tracking of resourcing.
- Developing the strategy and processes to ensure effective resource allocation and tracking as the organisation grows.
- Producing utilisation reports to support fundraising, new business generation and financial reporting, including to funders and clients.
- Work closely with Shift Directors to ensure that the organisation is adequately resourced, with the right balance of skills and experience to meet strategic goals.
- Work closely with the relevant Director to manage, and execute, recruitment.
- Preparing budgets for funding and project proposals.
- Up-dating team charge-out rates.
- Checking financial terms of new contracts and processing details from these into project overviews.
- Managing contract finalisation for new projects, including obtaining purchase order numbers and ensuring first and future payments receipts.
- Communicating financial terms to Finance Director for inclusion into cash flow and to Finance Manager for inclusion into income allocations and invoices.
- Producing reports to indicate actual performance against client-agreed budget on a monthly basis for each project.
- Reporting to funders
- Meet with Project leads to discuss performance against budget as well as invoicing and debtors. Agree actions (if any).
- Chase late payments from funders/clients.
Legal and HR functions
- Managing holiday and sickness records.
- Reviewing contracts for each new project to ensure they meet Shift requirements. Retaining copies of all project contracts.
- Maintaining a portfolio of re-usable templates for funding proposals and contracts.
Essential experience and skills
- Experience of monitoring financial performance on Excel and intermediate formulas and techniques.
- Experience of creating new Excel models.
- Knowledge of contract financial management and ‘actual versus budget’ monitoring.
- Fully qualified or 5 years’ experience in a finance department.
- Previous experience in centralising procedures and creating financial templates.
- Very well organised, able to manage multiple priorities.
- A flexible, can-do attitude.
- An excellent team player, willing and able to support staff across the organisation and to explain budgets.
Shift is an award-winning social enterprise that designs consumer products and services which address social problems through behaviour change. By creating things that people need and like, and that can grow to scale as self-sustaining social ventures, we aim to have a measurable, long-term effect on some of the big issues we face. We follow a lean, user-centred research and design process to create products and services that demonstrate social, user and financial value.
Our portfolio includes Historypin, the communal historical archive building local social capital, BfB Labs, which develops biofeedback games that build resilience to mental illness and the fast food outlet Box Chicken, created as part of our healthy fast food work. Our team has won Webby and Tech4Good awards, were finalists in the 2014 Google Impact Challenge and were twice named a New Radical by Nesta and the Observer.
- £29,000 to £33,000 per annum, depending on experience
- 25 days annual leave, plus 1 additional day for each year at Shift (up to 5)
- Matched pension contribution up to 2%
- Working with an energetic, creative and passionate team, based in Farringdon, London
- Part of a fast-growing, socially-focused organisation
Please submit a CV and a cover letter of no more than two sides of A4, explaining why you are interested in the role and why you are best placed for the job by Friday 13th April to firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews 24th and 25th April.
We will not be working with agents or recruitment consultants to advertise or recruit this role.
Do you have a friend who’d be a perfect fit? Send them this link! Thanks.