Based in Farringdon, London
£50-£55,000 per annum
25 days annual leave
Matched pension contribution up to 2%
Shift is looking for a creative, inquisitive and passionate Senior Service Designer to join our innovative and ambitious team and play a central role in the development of new products and services for both Shift ventures and our clients.
The successful candidate will be experienced in taking new products and services to market through a series of human-centred research, design and testing cycles.
In your first year with Shift, you would be focused on the delivery of a major client project, as well as the development of a new Shift product that improves the wellbeing of 16-18 year olds. Through this work and wider collaboration across Shift, you would help test and refine Shift’s distinct model of design for impact.
Shift is an award-winning social enterprise that designs consumer products and services which address social problems through behaviour change. By creating things that people need and like, and that can grow to scale as self-sustaining social ventures, we aim to have a measurable, long-term effect on some of the big issues we face. We follow an agile, user-centred research and design process to create products and services that demonstrate social, user and financial value.
Our portfolio includes Historypin, the communal historical archive building local social capital, BfB Labs, which develops biofeedback games that build resilience to mental illness and the fast food outlet Box Chicken, created as part of our healthy fast food work. Our team has won Webby and Tech4Good awards, were finalists in the 2014 Google Impact Challenge and were twice named a New Radical by Nesta and the Observer.
As a Senior Service Designer, you will:
DESIGN LEADERSHIP AND PROJECT DELIVERY
- Lead service design projects that deliver both new product and service innovations, as well as incremental improvements to existing products and services
- Create solutions that drive social impact, meet user needs and can provide financial sustainability
- Be responsible for developing compelling product and service propositions, working end-to-end through research, design strategy, testing, implementation and business planning
- Collaborate with our multi-disciplinary team including our Research and Evaluation Director, Innovation Lead and Development Director
- Own and manage relationships with key partners or clients and demonstrate an in-depth understanding of their business
- Work well with senior stakeholders, and have the proven ability to foster buy-in for the service design process and outputs
- Explore and take opportunities to identify and develop collaborations, potential product teams and strategic partnerships
- Work with the Lead Researcher and Research and Evaluation Director to plan and conduct human-centred design research, like depth interviews, observation, field research, while meeting a defined budget
- Plan and conduct wider commercial research and analysis
Analyse and synthesise compelling and actionable insights and turn those insights into simple frameworks, such as storyboards, personas, journey maps
DESIGN AND EXPERIMENTATION
- Identify design opportunities and write clear design brief
- Facilitate co-creation activities and workshops to bring together key stakeholders including our Lead Researcher, Research and Evaluation Director, Innovation Lead, Account Director within the Shift Team and key external partners
- Develop initial concepts and bring them to life through visualisations such as presentations, sketches and storyboards
- Prioritise concepts and / or touch points for development through testing and filtration
- Develop ideal user journeys, service features and service blueprints that map out service touch points across multiple channels
- Create lo-fi prototypes for real-word testing and iteration
- Plan and conduct real-world design testing, using social, user and commercial value as assessment criteria
- Where relevant, work with the Development Director and Innovation Lead to define and validate initial business models
- Manage the detailed design and implementation of service touch points, working with support designers, creatives, copywriters and developers (as needed), ensuring that the design intent is carried through until the end of the process
- Work with our Development Director to plan how to turn the new service offering into its own venture, developing business plans, investment propositions, and plans for further development
- Develop and document service design processes, tools and templates to hand over to external partners for future work
Essential experience will include:
- 5+ years in a role in Service Design, Innovation or similar
- Leading an end-to-end service design process or similar
- Working on both incremental and new product / service innovations
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A strong visual storyteller, with good concept visualisation skills and ideally proficient use of InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Keynote
Desirable experience will include:
- Bachelor’s degree that includes modules in Service Design, Psychology, UX/UI or other relevant fields
- A track record of working in teams that have taken successful consumer products or services to market
- Delivery of projects relating to youth work and transition to adulthood
- Experience working on digital products and services
- Experience working on products and services that deliver social impact
- Experience working in a startup or social business environment
If you are interested in the role, please submit a CV and a cover letter of no more than two sides of A4, explaining why you are interested in the role and why you are best placed for the job by 5pm on Wednesday 15th February to email@example.com. Interviews will take place end of February.
We will not be working with agents or recruitment consultants to advertise or recruit this role. Agents: please do not ignore this as you will be wasting your time and ours.