Based in Farringdon, London
£30-£38,00 per annum
25 days annual leave
Matched pension contribution up to 2%
UK wide travel
Shift is looking for a creative, inquisitive, passionate and driven Service Designer (or similar), with at least 3 years experience, to join our innovative and ambitious team and play a central role in the development of new products and services for both Shift ventures and our partners.
The successful candidate will be experienced in supporting a team to take new products and services to market through a series of human-centred research, design and testing cycles with a deep specialism in prototype development and testing (incl. digital, physical and service prototypes).
In your first year with Shift, you would be supporting the delivery of two major projects:
- The first is focussed on making fast food healthier and you would play a big role on developing and testing experimental early stage concepts in the real-world, informing the future product direction for this project.
- The second is focused on a product for social cohesion and you would own the running of a UK pilot – recruiting beta testers, producing and distributing prototypes and gathering insight to translate into thoughtful product design iterations.
Through this work and wider collaboration across Shift, you would help test and refine Shift’s distinct model of innovation for impact.
Shift is an award-winning social enterprise that designs consumer products and services which address social problems through behaviour change. By creating things that people need and like, and that can grow to scale as self-sustaining social ventures, we aim to have a measurable, long-term effect on some of the big issues we face. We follow an agile, user-centred research and design process to create products and services that demonstrate social, user and financial value.
Our portfolio includes Historypin, the communal historical archive building local social capital, BfB Labs, which develops biofeedback games that build resilience to mental illness and the fast food outlet Box Chicken, created as part of our healthy fast food work. Our team has won Webby and Tech4Good awards, were finalists in the 2014 Google Impact Challenge and were twice named a New Radical by Nesta and the Observer.
As a Service Designer at Shift, you will work collaboratively with a Senior Service Designer to deliver two new product or service innovations, as well as incremental improvements to existing Shift products and services. You’ll be taking ownership for key parts of the innovation process helping to drive projects towards key innovation milestones.
You’ll specifically be responsible for;
SUPPORT AND PROJECT DELIVERY
- You’ll work collaboratively with the Senior Service Designer to create new user-centered solutions and improvements that can drive social impact, meet user needs and be financially sustainable.
- Take responsibility for developing compelling product and service propositions, working end-to-end through research, design strategy, testing and implementation.
- Take responsibility for launching these products and services in the market, continuing to work through cycles of improvement with real customers and clients.
- Create, own and manage relationships with key partners or clients and demonstrate an in-depth understanding of their business
- Work well with senior stakeholders, and have the proven ability to foster buy-in for the service design process and outputs
- Explore and take opportunities to identify and develop collaborations, potential product teams and strategic partnerships.
- You’ll support the Senior Service Designer and Lead Researcher to design and conduct creative human-centred design research, using methodologies like depth interviews, observation, digital ethnography, in field prototype and intervention testing and other field research, while meeting a defined budget.
- Support the team to recruit research participants (often with little or no budget) and manage the process from recruitment and screening to delivering incentives. This often includes finding creative way to engage, and building trusted relationships in niche, hard to reach communities.
- Plan and conduct wider desk based research activities, including commercial research and competitor analysis
- Lead analysis and synthesis of research to created compelling and actionable insights and you’ll turn those insights into simple frameworks, such as opportunity spaces, storyboards, personas, journey maps etc.
DESIGN AND EXPERIMENTATION
- Use insights to identify and clearly define design opportunities
- Facilitate and co-facilitate co-creation activities and workshops to bring together key stakeholders including our Senior Service Designer, Lead Researcher, Research and Evaluation Director, Innovation Director within the Shift Team and key external partners
- Develop initial ideas / concepts and bring them to life through copy and visualisations such as presentations, sketches, videos and storyboards
- Prioritise concepts and / or touch points for development through testing and filtration
- Create detailed concepts that include ideal user journeys, service or product features and service blueprints that map out service touch points across multiple channels. Using the right approach at the right time.
- You’ll be creative at finding the quickest and cheapest way to test your ideas. Creating simple, lo-fi prototypes for real-word testing and iteration (these will include digital, product and service prototypes).
- Plan and conduct real-world design testing in the field, working with key stakeholders (e.g. end users and other key actors). You’ll know how to design and conduct a robust test, know how to prioritise what to test when, and be able to define the appropriate assessment criteria for each test.
- Keep Shift’s three strands of value (user, social and financial value) in mind at all times. Thinking about the user, social and financial implications of all insights, opportunities, features and decisions. Working with relevant directors to support at each stage.
DESIGN DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION
- Support the Senior Service Designer to turn ‘concepts’ into creative and technical briefs
- Support the Senior Service Designer to manage design and development teams as they answer creative and technical briefs, ensuring they creative high quality outputs (this could be anything from an app, to a set of marketing materials)
- Work well with designers, creatives, copywriters and developers (as needed), ensuring that the design intent is carried through until the end of the process
- Work through iterative cycles of design and development, testing with users throughout in both closed test environments and out in the field.
- As quickly as possible, you’ll be working to get products and services into the hands of real users. Supporting your team to launch products and services so they can demonstrate real world traction and make objective progress towards proven social, user and financial impact.
You’re perfect for this role if:
- You have 3+ experience and a passion for user centered innovation / design
- Have an interest in products and services that facilitate positive behaviour change
- You’re ambitious, a quick study and willing to get stuck in (even in areas where you’re less experienced)
- You’re friendly and excited to work as part of a small, but growing team
- You have general experience of at least one or two of the following: user research, concept development, prototyping, UX Design.
- You have general experience of at least one of the following: Product Management (incl. digital), Product Marketing, Business Modelling and Business Development
- You are proactive and feel empowered, confident when working autonomously but also are able to work to tightly specified briefs when needed
- Aren’t scared to get stuck in, do whatever it takes to get to high quality outcomes, talk to and build relationships with people (IRL), and get products into the real world (fast)
- You’re interested in having more experience of an end to end Innovation Process and are clear about which areas you’re currently strongest and weakest in.
Essential experience will include:
- 3+ years in a role in Service Design, Insight Led Innovation, User Centered Design, UX or similar
- Experience supporting a end-to-end service design process or similar
- Working on both incremental and new product / service innovations
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (you’ll be out working with cultural organisations and fast food business owners a lot)
- A strong visual storyteller, with good concept visualisation skills and ideally proficient use of InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Keynote
Desirable experience will include:
- Bachelor’s degree that includes modules in Service Design, Innovation, User Centered Design, Psychology, UX/UI or other relevant fields
- A proven record of working in teams who have piloted or scaled new social products or services in market
- A proven track record of working in teams that have taken successful consumer products or services to market
- Delivery of projects relating to food, fast food, online ordering, obesity, social cohesion, storytelling, workshop design, facilitation etc
- Experience working on digital products and face to face services
- Experience working on products and services that deliver social impact
- Experience working in a startup or social business environment
If you are interested in the role…
Please submit a CV and a cover letter of no more than two sides of A4, explaining why you are interested in the role and why you are best placed for the job by 5pm on 8th Jan 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Interviews will take place w/c 15th Jan 2018 and we’ll likely have a quick phone call with you ahead of arranging the interview. The role will start w/c 29th Jan 2018.
We will not be working with agents or recruitment consultants to advertise or recruit this role. Agents: please do not ignore this as you will be wasting your time and ours.